The District Council of Loxton Waikerie was formed on 3rd May 1997 with the amalgamation of the District Councils of Loxton, Waikerie and Browns Well. The Council has an area of 7,957 square kilometres, and a total road length of 2,235 kilometres.
The Council initially started with 11 Elected members from the Loxton Waikerie area and 1 member from the Browns Well area. In 2000, Council resolved to not have wards and the 12 members of Council were elected from the whole council area.
Statement of Future Directions
The Loxton Waikerie Council is committed to improving the quality of life through the maintenance and development of a vibrant and prosperous community by:
- facilitating a strong regional economy which encourages development opportunities
- effective, open and accountable governance and leadership
- maintaining appropriate and sustainable community infrastructure
- preserving and enhancing the natural environment
- recognising our heritage and cultural diversity
- providing a comprehensive range of quality services
- sustainable economic development
- visionary community leadership
- provision and maintenance of infrastructure
- recognition and protection of the environment
- provision of cultural and community services
- delivery of relevant services through responsive corporate management