- Latest News
District Council of Loxton Waikerie response measures to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is a global crisis, and our Council has a key role to play in limiting the spread and impact of it.
Council is monitoring the situation very closely, and our primary focus is to protect the health of our community members, visitors and staff and to help minimise the spread of COVID-19. Evidence from around the world has shown that pre-emptive measures are extremely effective in containing the spread of the disease.
Our leaders are staying up to date on the latest advice from the State and Federal Governments, and relevant Government health agencies.
We are encouraging our residents to also play their part – observe stricter personal hygiene and social distancing, stay away from public places if you’re unwell, be respectful to our staff and others working under stressful conditions and look out for the vulnerable members of your community.
Our key objectives are to:
- Reduce and contain the impact of the disease
- Maintain a healthy workforce
- Provide leadership to the community
- Keep residents and business informed about what we're doing and why we're doing it
We encourage residents and the community to:
- Remain calm
- Implement social distancing measures
- Look out for each other, check on your neighbours and provide assistance where necessary
- Obey the State and Federal Governments advice and delay ALL non-essential travel (this includes camping at Easter)
It is important to remember that this is an extremely dynamic situation and events are changing daily.
Effective 30 March 2020, Council has updated a range of measures to its operations. These measures are in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic, to ensure the health and safety of its staff and the community, while providing the continuity of vital local services.
Section 41 Committee Meetings
Section 41 Committee meetings have been cancelled for March and April 2020 due to the risks of COVID-19 and social distancing requirements.
Council meetings will now be live streamed for the public to join from the comfort of their own home. For information on how to join, please click here.
All non-essential face to face meetings will be cancelled or postponed. Staff instead will use phone or video meeting and conferencing alternatives where possible and practicable. Essential meetings will require increased hygiene measures including observing social distancing.
- All Skateparks (since 7 May 2020)
- All Playgrounds (since 7 May 2020)
- Waikerie Council Office (since 11 May 2020)
- Loxton Council Office (since 12 May 2020)
- Loxton and Waikerie Depots (since 12 May 2020)
- Loxton and Waikerie Library & Visitor Centres - from Tuesday 19 May 2020 both libraries will be open between 10am - 12pm and 2pm - 4pm.
- All Campgrounds (since 11 May 2020)
- All campground users MUST:
- Limit the number of people on site to 1 person per 4 square metres (density requirement)
- Limit any gatherings to a maximum of 10 attendees
- All campground users SHOULD:
- Observe, and encourage observing of, social distancing (1.5 metres rule)
- Facilitate good hand and respiratory hygiene, as much as possible
Thank you for your patience and understanding, please remember to stay safe during these difficult times.
If you feel your mental health is being impacted by the current COVID-19 crisis, support services are available online:
Page last updated 25 May 2020.