Food Businesses

There are over 250 registered food businesses operating within the District Council of Loxton Waikerie area. Under the Food Act 2001 a food business is defined as a business or activity (other than primary food production) that involves the handling and sale of food intended for sale. Food businesses can range from a major food manufacturer to a community group holding a sausage sizzle fundraiser.

Food Business Notification (FBN)

The proprietor of a food business must notify Council of their food business prior to commencing operations.

Download a Food Business Notification Form and return to Council for processing. Food business proprietors will receive a unique FBN number which is recognised across South Australia, and enables temporary and mobile food vendors to operate in other Council areas.

If you have completed a FBN form and unsure of your number, contact Council’s Environmental Health Officer for assistance.

Food Premise Inspections

Environmental Health Officer’s are dedicated to providing food business proprietors and food handlers with advice and education to ensure compliance with the Food Safety Standards. All food businesses are inspected on a routine basis and charged in line with the Food Act 2001 Regulations. Fees for food premise inspections are available at Council’s Fees and Charges.

Council’s Environmental Health Officer uses the Australian Food Safety Assessment for inspecting food premises, which covers the following food activities:

  • Cleanliness and hygiene of equipment and  premises
  • Health, hygiene and knowledge of food handlers
  • Products and ingredients
  • Food storage and display
  • Temperature control
  • Processing equipment, method and packaging
  • Food transportation and distribution

Free Online Food Safety Training

All food businesses are required to ensure that everyone who handles food for sale in their business has skills and knowledge appropriate to their activities. Council is assisting food businesses to meet these obligations by providing free access to an online training tool.

Visit the I’m Alert – Food Safety Training to conduct your training now or download the I’m Alert – Food Safety Flyer for further information.

Temporary Food Stalls and Mobile Food Vans

The food legislation contains requirements that all food businesses must meet to ensure a high standard of safe food practices. While there are some exemptions available, the majority of these requirements still apply to temporary food stalls and mobile food vans that trade at community events, public spaces or anywhere where food is sold even as a ‘once off’ event.

Temporary food stalls can include a booth, tent, marquee or other temporary equipment, such as a trestle table and barbeque. Download the Design and Operation of a Temporary Food Stall which is the minimum standard expected of food businesses and food handlers.

Mobile food vans are food businesses designed to be moved from place to place and more regular in their operations and can include a vehicle, trailer, van, tent, stall, table, barbeque, pizza oven or other mobile structures.

Food Businesses operating on Council Land

All food businesses intending to operate on Council Land must seek permission from Council prior to undertaking the activity.

Are you an individual food stall or mobile van?

Download the General Permit Application form here and return to Council for processing. There is a section in the form to list the types of food intended for sale. Council’s Environmental Health Officer may contact you for further information regarding your food activities.

Are you planning an event with food stalls and mobile vans?

If a major event is being held on Council land, it is required that the organiser of the event collect information regarding the food businesses intending to operate.

Download the Event Permit Application form here and return to Council for processing.

Temporary Events on Private Land

It is expected that all food businesses intending to operate on private land as a temporary event contact Council's Environmental Health Officer to discuss and obtain further information regarding these requirements.

Home-based Food Businesses

Home-based food businesses use their residential premises to handle food for sale. This includes preparing food for sale at local markets and retail outlets, home-based catering businesses and bed-and-breakfast accommodation.

The handling of food intended for sale includes all activities that may take place in relation to food including cooking, preserving, processing, preparing, packing, storing and transporting. All home based food businesses need to comply with the Food Act 2001 and Food Safety Standards, and have regular food safety inspections that incur inspection fees.

In most cases domestic kitchens are not suitable for the production of high risk foods, such as ready to eat meals, and it is expected these activities are conducted in a commercial kitchen. You will need to contact Council’s Environmental Health Officer before you begin your food activities from home. The Environmental Health Officer will arrange a time to visit your property to ensure your food preparation areas meet the Food Safety Standards and that you have the correct design requirements and equipment.

Download the Home-based Food Businesses Checklist to see if you meet the requirements.

Food Safety Resources

Don’t Cross Contaminate

Food Preparation – Cleaning and Sanitising

Food Safety Fundamentals

Food Temperature Control 2 Hour 4 Hour Rule

Guide to the Labelling of Packaged Food


Home-based Food Businesses Checklist

I’m Alert – Food Safety Flyer

I’m Alert – Food Safety Training


The Design and Operation of a Temporary Food Stall